Lordy it was hot yesterday - 100 degrees and today is slated for 101. Too hot for me and I'm grateful that kind of heat doesn't stay around long. Already the forecast for next week is showing rain on Wednesday and a high of 69. Whoo hoo! I hope that occurs. :)
Last night was our second HypnoBirthing class. We watched several HypnoBirths on video. I wondered how the four Daddies would fare with that, but I guess they did alright - I was too distracted with watching the reaction of the newborns to pay much attention to anyone else. :) I love that this technique is about calmness, going within, and the word "joy" is used just often enough to make me smile.
Then we watched an old(er) video about communicating with our unborn child and how much research has been done to show that the baby really does respond to pre-birth communication, songs, singing, and playing on the part of the parents.
The video suggested we sing a consistent "goodnight" lullaby to the baby before we/I go to sleep. The purpose being that the baby is more easily soothed to sleep once he's born when he hears that familiar song. (For a fun example of this, check this video out.) When I got settled into bed last night, I started to sing "Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight" and the baby started wiggling all over the place. Heh.
The night before the class, Jason had said he wanted to bring up his Dr. Seuss collection from downstairs and start reading to the baby. Last night the video mentioned the "hugely influential 1986 study" done using mothers reading a particular Dr. Seuss book to her unborn child. "Hours after the babies were born, the researchers played audiotapes for them of their mothers reading the Dr. Seuss story and a different story. By an overwhelming majority, the newborns exposed in utero to The Cat in the Hat preferred it to the story they hadn't heard." (Source.) Jason recalled that study as being one he learned about in his child psych classes in college.
I imagine I'll be seeing his collection of books in the very near future. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment