I posed the question to my Whimsy Guy: "What do you think about not having a microwave...at all?" Admittedly, my hubby was not too keen to just let a perfectly working appliance go (and he hasn't seen any studies that validate my concern about food degradation). So, I let it go.
We decided to put the microwave in the hall, on the dresser (creative use of space, no?). I think it would have worked out, but we didn't get a chance to find out. When my Whimsy Guy plugged the microwave into it's new location, it stopped working. Simply ka-put.
I had to shake my head and smile at the Universe. "Just because I said I was THINKING about living without a microwave doesn't mean I meant RIGHT NOW!" Talk about instant manifest! So...until we hear back from the ONE repair shop, we've been living without a microwave for a week. Let me tell you, it's taking some getting used to. We're having to adjust how we cook and how much time it takes to prepare things with a stove top, oven, and toaster oven. We are getting a sense of how it was for our parents and grandparents, before they got microwaves. It's a slower way of cooking and enjoying, that's for sure.
Jason was working hard laying down our new kitchen floor (photos coming soon) and blasted through the lunch hour. When he finally decided to get a bite to eat, he pulled out frozen left-overs to heat up...and then realized without a microwave, he was still a good 20-30 minutes from lunch. He put his lunch in the toaster oven and went back to work. Poor guy. Slowly we are adjusting to the need to pre-plan a bit more.
No comments:
Post a Comment