Saturday, October 1, 2011

funny and lovely things at the coast

I got to spend a few days at the coast with a lovely and diverse group of women. Had I known when I agreed to come that I'd be up to my elbows in harvesting the gardens, I would have declined. But...I had happily agreed was so glad I did.

Getting out of town on Friday was a synchronized feat. I made two (or was it three?) batches of plum jam from plums that simply would not wait until I returned. I ran out of time and ended up pureeing and freezing 16 cups of plums to make into jam at a more convenient time.

A few times I found myself thinking, "I don't have enough time" but luckily I noticed the thought, took a deep breath and told myself that I have plenty of time.

I dropped JoyBoy of at his Auntie Laura's house in the afternoon. I thought it would be emotionally hard on me to leave him (this would be the longest I've been away from him), but surprisingly, it was not. I had the thought I might cry a bit, but...nope.

Auntie Laura was completely prepared for him. When we walked in, he saw a castle and knights and dragons set up on the floor for him. He barely looked my way after that.

On her table, she had set out a large sheet of paper for him to draw on; when I told her he had barely eaten lunch, she showed me the meal she was cooking on the stove; she had cookies ready to be baked...my sweet boy is in good, loving hands. I have such gratitude for my "village." Such a blessing.

I did manage a hug and a kiss from Kaemon Ze before I left. I stopped by my local library and got a (huge) book on CDs - a biography on Frank Sinatra. 18 CDs in all. Wow. Then I dashed home to finish pureeing the plums and load up my car. Finally, I was on the road learning all about someone I knew very little about: Frank Sinatra. Made the 3-hour trip go quick, there and back.

At the rental beach house (huge with lots of space), I arrived in time for dinner - fresh caught tuna, grilled vegetables, salad, and bread. I brought an experimental jam with me: chipotle and plum. I sampled the finished batch the day before and was blown away. Wow...it was so good. Nice heat to it, too. I thought the ladies would enjoy it to. Indeed they did; it went great with the fish. I ended up bringing home an empty jar!

Over the weekend, there was plenty and / or...absolutely nothing blessedly, to do. Easy going; not one minute was scripted or directed. Tremendous flow. Lovely. Ladies read; painted their toenails with polish from the big bag of colours I brought; soaked in the hot tub as the sun set; walked on the beach; sipped lattes at a local coffee shop (that was me); cut photos from magazines to make into vision boards; napped; painting on the canvas and easel I brought; and lots and lots of talking. As the hostess said, "this group can talk!" One special treat was having our palms read (privately) by one of the gals. She read mine on Saturday morning. Very interesting stuff. Among other things, she saw my hubby getting a promotion (though she wasn't sure how) and more money coming to him. Hubby was happy to hear this.

It was a wonderful time away, but come Sunday morning, I was anxious to return home to my guys. It was just me and Frank Sinatra for 3 hours on the return drive. :)






(over-priced.)
Some of the ladies cut pictures from magazines and made poster boards. The above is a page from one gal's scrapbook; the one below is a poster board made by another gal. So beautiful!

No comments: