Tuesday, January 12, 2010

game on! part four

It's Thursday, day four of my interview series with author Jonny Nexus. His book is called "Game Night," the story of six gods who sit down to spend an evening roleplaying. Really badly.

As you know by now, this blog has been selected to be a part of the National Blog Tour to promote the book, Game Night. More accurately, it's promoting the fact that Mr. Nexus is posting weekly installments of his book online - for get this - FREE!

You may also know by now that I'm giving away an AUTOGRAPHED copy of Game Night to one lucky reader! For a chance to win your very own copy, read yesterday's post. Actually, you may wish to start from the beginning so this interview will (hopefully) make some sense and not seem entirely like flub.

Of course you don't have to wait to find out if you won a free copy of this "gut-bustingly, rib-tearingly, bed-wettingly hilarious" book.. you can click here to begin reading free weekly installments of the book - but even better, you can order your own copy NOW from Amazon.com!

-- Part Four of my interview with Jonny Nexus --

I'm amazed to see our waiter back so quickly - and with the drinks.

JoyGirl: Ummm... We only ordered two cocktails.

I'm staring at four very delectable looking drinks. I take a sip of one as the waiter unloads all of them from his tray. Ev
en if they are not ours, I want to taste! Delicious. And very strong. Yum! The waiter assures me this is the house special: two-for-one vodka watermelon blitz. Jonny takes a sip, and I can tell from his smile he's pleased. These are so delicious and strong, I'm thinking "if I drink two of these, there's a good chance I will be blitzed!"

I offer a toast to Jonny's success. We drink to that and settle into our chairs. Without a word, and before I know it, we've finished off the first drink. "Must be the heat," I say, to no one in particular, and reach for the second. I take a sip and make a mental promise: I will finish this interview before I finish this drink. As soon as I said that, I regretted it and take another sip out of defiance. I sit up straight, toss my hair out of my eyes, and pick up the book.

JG: One last quote from the book, “Hill let out a low whistle. ‘So this is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with an argument over punctuation.”

I have to tell you Jonny, there’s a lot of Monty Python in that one sentence.


Jonny just started his second drink when the waiter re-appeared. "Good, no?" "Si!" I said, enthusiastically. The waiter looked at Jonny and asked, "Another round?" It was more of a statement than a inquiry. Before I could say "Gracias, no." Jonny tells the man to, and I quote, "bring it on." Wow. Somewhere in the recesses of my brain I seem to recall an interview where Jonny was asked if he had ever taken drugs. He replied that he hadn't but, "once had a bloody strong cup of coffee in Milan. For ten minutes I could have ruled the world, but then I came down and I was just a programmer again." I smile and do a quick mental calculation that, at this pace, I may just be sober in time for our dinner reservations later tonight. This happens to be the first time we've met in person and Jonny wants to meet my husband and son. I've been wanting to meet his wife for years.

There might be, but to be honest I couldn't claim to be a huge Monty Python fan. It's not that I don't like them, more that I just haven't seen a huge amount of their stuff – really only the films. Perhaps because they were a bit before my time. (The first thing I recall having a big impact on me was “The Young Ones”).

JG: Wait, wait, wait! I blurt. What do you mean, "A bit before my time?" You've got to be near my age and I adore Monty Python! Well, I guess I've only seen some of their films. [hiccup] Oh my. Excuse me.

That said, “Life of Brian” is one of my favourite films.

JG: No way! My husband and I literally just watched that film last week! How synchronistic is that?. [hiccup] Oh. I seem to have the hiccups. Sorry. Do continue.

I'm fairing well on my promise to finish the interview before I finish my drink - but my drink is dangerously low and - oh my - here comes our waiter with - holy smokes - four more drinks. Miguel, our waiter who is, curiously, just now wearing a name tag, places the drinks on the table. While I was looking in amazement at all the alcohol before us, the waiter whisked away our nearly-empty glasses.

...when it comes to later works, I think that humanity is divided into two camps: those who will tell you that Fawlty Towers is brilliant; and those who either died before it was made or have never seen a television. (And if you have access to a good-quality medium, you could doubtless move the dead into the “brilliant” camp).

I'm so distracted by the quandary of having my glass taken away, that stupid promise, and all this alcohol that I barely caught what Jonny was saying. Faulty towers? Uh-ho... mental note: look up "faulty towers" on Wikipedia. I smile supportively, hoping he doesn't notice the light's out on that one. I'm still wondering if it "counts" that my drink was taken from me before I finished and decide it doesn't. I raise glass number three and salute Jonny. We down half the glass in one go. Damn these are so good!


But if you think Game Night bears comparison to recognised comedy geniuses you'll have no complaints from me! (And I might perhaps quote you twice).

JG: Jonny, you can quote me as often as you like! By the way, did you see that photo of the dude who had Stephen Hawkin's face tattooed on his leg with a quote from - and you'll love this - Life of Brian?

Errrm... no.

JG: It reads, "He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy." Isn't that great?

I don't wait for an answer. I pull out my iPhone and show him the photo.

That's AWESOME!

I giggled and a snort slipped out. Oh that's embarrassing. At least my hiccups seem to have gone away. I straighten my back and the pleats in my skirt. I'm hoping to God that I'll remember my villa number. Oh Lordy. I continue.

JG: Soooo..... what's next on the horizon for you?

I'm currently working on a time travel comedy, which I should be finished in the first half of this year. Unfortunately, I'm not really at a point where I can give out any further information, but I'm trying to write it with the same style of humour as Game Night – so if you liked Game Night, I'm hoping you'll really like this.

I burst out laughing. Really hard. I didn't mean to... and in looking over my notes as I type this up and still don't know what was so bloody funny. My laughter is infectious, apparently, because as soon as I start to laugh, Jonny spews a bit of the watermelon drink through his nose and erupts in a very hard, deep laughter. I'm beside myself. I can't breathe. There's no sound coming from my mouth... I'm in that moment of silent laughter and then, with some air, I'm laughing so hard I'm holding my stomach. Breathe! I have to breathe! The wait staff looks over and smile... a little too knowingly, I think in retrospect. At some point I realize that I still have one more question to ask. I have got to get a handle on this!

Okay, one more question. I CAN DO THIS. But, where are my sandals?


-- End of Part Four of my interview with Jonny Nexus --

One day left! Please join me tomorrow to see if I really can pull it together and get that last question out.

To read the first installment of Game Night, just click on this link (and remember to bookmark it!)

If you want to contact Jonny, then just drop him a line at gamenight (at) jonnynexus dot com or you can follow him on Twitter or Facebook. Or to just be kept informed of each chapter when it comes out, you can follow the @GameNightNovel twitter feed.


Photo credit:
Stephen Hawking tattoo: Jack Newton, 23, of Brighton, decided to have his right leg decorated with the theoretical physicist's face after reading his best-selling book A Brief History of Time - even though he didn't understand a word of it. Tattoo artist: Stewart Francis. Photo credit: Kent News.


No comments: